Sunday, July 8, 2007

02-ParentingMindfully 2

What do Buddhist mothers say?

One significant effect that practising Buddhism can have on our life is that we might actually be there for it. As our life unfolds, rather than being mentally elsewhere, as we usually are, we strive to be present in the here and now... Anne, the mother of two young daughters:

Buddhism helps me to see motherhood as a spiritual journey. At the worst of times, I can remind myself that parenting is practice and practice of the most rigorous kind. My children are my teachers repeatedly forcing me to live in the present moment and give up fantasising about all the exciting and stimulating things I could be doing.

As a mother you constantly need to ask the questions: ‘What does this moment require?’ and ‘What is important here?’On bad days I notice my daughters automatically repeating themselves as though they know I’am a distant zombie who’s not quite there with them. When this happens I know to yank myself back into the present and give them close attention. Following Buddhist teachings I’m likely to parent consciously and with awareness of what the present moment requires rather than allowing my children to become the victims of my automatic reactions.

Notes: The following words is rather considered to be meaningful than new.

practising Buddhism: (thuật ngữ) tu tập theo Phật giáo
mentally: (thuật ngữ) về phương diện tâm thức.
strive: nổ lực
spiritual journey: (thuật ngữ) con đường tâm linh
rigorous: tinh tấn.
fantasising: mộng tưởng, (thuật ngữ) vọng tưởng.
exciting: kích thích.
stimulating: làm cho bị khích động.
constantly: một cách thường xuyên.
require: yêu cầu.
repeating: lập lại một hành vi hay một lời nói.
zombie: ‘người vô hồn’, somebody unresponsive or unthinking: somebody who lacks energy, enthusiasm, or the ability to think independently (informal)
yank: giật phắt lại/đi.
consciously: tỉnh giác, (thuật ngữ) chú tâm cảnh giác.
awareness: ý thức, (thuật ngữ) chánh niệm tỉnh giác.
automatic: tự động, (thuật ngữ) thất niệm.

No comments: